Feb 27, 2007

Bible Women??


I had the opportunity to engage in a discussion last weekend with a group of college age young adults and young married couples. We focused on the book of Acts. While tackling the high standards elders are suppose to possess we ran into the roll of women in the church. One of the younger single women spoke about the responsibilty being totally the men's. Leadership and such. I couldn't believe out of the mouth of babes I was hearing exactly what I would have said at her age 6 years ago. My view has been altered a little by my wonderful broad thinking husband who has caused me to question these oppressive answers that I used to think would bring me to a closer to God, holier me. Be submissive, don't teach men, don't speak at a gathering, ask your hubby when you get home, don't be in leadership. . .

Some facts about the women in the Bible that have been brought to my attention of late is that there were women who traveled with Jesus. There were women apostles. Who was with Jesus to what seemed his end?? Women. Who did Jesus reveal himself first to when he rose again? Women.

I'm not coming from a feminist mind set here. I'm just questioning the conservative teachings that I have hid behind for so man years. These teachings that I hear young women clinging to as I did cause me to step back and realize how oppressive it sounds and see how it doesn't quite line up with the Gospel of Christ.

So many questions floating in my head. Are we all equal in Christ. . . "niether male of female". . . Why have I held onto these teachings? How have they effected my serving, my relationships, my family?

7 comments:

Papa Frank said...

This is an interesting thought process that I struggled with in the decision to keep working or stay home with my children. In praying and searching I finally found peace of mind when I realized that the "wife of noble character" in Proverbs that she worked, purchased a field and ran a vineyard and saw her trading was profitable. The wisdom she shares with others does not sound like a woman that sits back and stays out of leadership or a "man's world." I appreciate your blog. It is a spark that makes me think, and that is always a good thing.

Resa said...

I think this topic deserves much further conversation. I tend to lean towards the beliefs that you described as hiding behind. Teachings that I've previously learned from were very adamant about a woman's role in the church. I also found their influence to be strongly Biblical.

Let's do some more study straight from the Bible. Any suggestions of where to start?

Marcola said...

I've been thinking about this a lot over the past few years and have been wanting to explore further.

Rustin recommended a book to me called "Men and Women in the Church" by Sarah Sumner. It's a biblical study of passages relevant to gender roles (and Dallas Willard endorses it).

Would you all be interested in going through this book together?

Anonymous said...

i'd love to go through that book with you. let me check with my husband, though, and see if that's ok with him....oh goodie! he said yes and that he would explain the real hard parts to me. PTL!!

Molly Clark said...

I feel as though I'm "coming out of the closet" so to speak. It's nice to know I'm not the only seeker on this certain subject. Yes, I think reading this book together would be great! Glad to hear that Maya has permission to join us. Just as long as your hubby doesn't complain to our Pastor and expose our little "Bible Women" community, Maya.

Resa said...

Maya, YOU ARE BANNED from the group! We'll end up giggling at all your tounge-in-cheek comments and never get any real housewifey things covered!

Okay, I take it back. You can come as long as you don't turn it into "Competitive League Womanhood"!

Anonymous said...

ok, ok. i actually like the idea of us coming in with different ideas about it all. because when your mind is totally changed, resa, it's going to be awesome. :) also, molly, no worries. our 'pastor' is the biggest feminist i know. no lie.